Jan. 26, 27, 30: ARC Listening Sessions
The Agricultural Resource Committee (ARC) of San Juan County is inviting the agricultural community to share their questions, concerns, and ideas related to agricultural economic viability and the local regulatory environment. This year, the ARC will be joined by the following organizations who work to support agriculture in the county:
San Juan Islands Agricultural Guild
San Juan Islands Conservation District
San Juan Islands Conservation Land Bank
San Juan County office of Community Development
San Juan County Parks and Fair
The Food System Team
Each 1.5-hour listening session will consist of updates from the above organizations, a facilitated discussion, and an opportunity for written feedback. Together, we will answer the following questions:
· What works well about San Juan County’s local food system?
· What specific challenges or barriers do you currently face that are regulatory in nature (county and state)?
· What specific challenges or barriers do you currently face concerning infrastructure (either on farm or community level)?
· What specific solutions or steps would help address the challenges you identified?
· What kinds of ag, business or value added education opportunities or workshops would you like to see offered in San Juan County?
The 2023 Farmer and Rancher Listening Sessions will be held on:
Orcas Island Thursday, January 26 | from 1:30 to 3 pm | Orcas Library Community Room | 500 Rose Street | Eastsound
San Juan Island Friday, January 27 | from 9 to 10:30 pm | San Juan Island Fairground Marie Boe Building | Friday Harbor
Lopez Island Monday, January 30 | from 11: am to 12:30 pm | Lopez Grange | 452 Richardson Rd | Lopez Island
Each 1.5 hour listening session will consist of updates from the following organizations, a facilitated discussion and opportunity for written feedback.
Farmers, ranchers and value added producers are encouraged to attend these listening sessions to share thoughts and ideas on how we can work together to ensure a robust farming future in our islands.
If you are not able to participate in person but would like to make your voice heard please answer the questions with this survey: https://forms.gle/dZWrgyLMj1niwpn9A